Google Chrome Hijacked with TextSrv Ads (double underlined hyperlinks)

Recently I’ve realized that my Chrome browser got hijacked with TextSrv Ads and it’s displaying hyperlinked keywords (double underlined green hyperlinks) that lead to different advertising sites.
I wasn’t surprised that neither AVG or Kaspersky were able to catch this issue, but to see that also MalwareBytes did not detect any problems was somewhat troubling and unexpected.

Anyhow, after a while poking around I’ve found the fix.

Somehow, while I was installing other Chrome Extensions, one called ‘Media Plugin – Version: 2.0′ got through and installed on my system.
Here is a screenshot:

In your Chrome browser go to: chrome://extensions/
And uninstall it, this worked for me.

13 thoughts on “Google Chrome Hijacked with TextSrv Ads (double underlined hyperlinks)

  1. I have this problem, but I don’t have this extension. I’ve found that disabling the Flash plug-in eliminates it, but uninstalling and reinstalling Flash does not. It only stays away if I leave Flash disabled. I don’t know if that means it’s actually resident in Flash/Shockwave, or if it simply uses the plug-in to function.

    Either way, irritating, and not a single forum has any solutions. . .

  2. THANK YOU!!!!! I’ve been playing around, trying all sorts of suggested fixes for hours, but this is the one thing that actually worked :D

  3. I had the same thing. This must be new, because it just popped up today. It’s a malware, not a virus. Go to http://www.malwarebytes.org/ hit Download Now and download the Free Version only, then restart your computer. Log onto the internet and check a few websites and the problem should be gone. Then go into Control Panel and uninstall the malwarebytes program. It got rid of the problem for me after I tried about 5 other things and worked on my computer for 3 hours. Hope this helps!

  4. THANK YOU!!!! I have been having this problem for ages and could not figure out what in the world was going on. I’d downloaded and run malwarebytes, and nothing. Did what you suggested, and for me it was a extension that I had no idea how it got on my pc for Babylon translator. Uninstalled it and problem fixed!

  5. @Tish
    I had the problem with a toolbar that is installed by Vuzedownload software. Once I removed it, the txtserver ads disappeared.
    You should try to remove all firefox extensions.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>